When I was a kid, I remember making banana ice cream in one of those hand-crank ice cream makers. In my mind that was fun. But in reality, those hand-crank machines were only fun for about 5 minutes. 30 minutes of cranking, a cramp in your arm, and still no ice cream is enough to make a little kid down-right mad!
Thankfully, modern technology has made in-home ice cream production all the fun it should be. A couple of years ago, understanding my family's deep desire for ice cream on demand, I purchased an ice cream maker attachment for my mixer. We've lived in ice cream bliss ever since. It requires no ice, no salt, and no elbow grease! Just pour the batter into the pre-frozen device and turn on the mixer, 10-15 minutes later you've got delicious soft serve! Like magic!
Anyway, banana ice cream was my favorite as a kid and it still is, so here's the best recipe ever! Enjoy!
The Best Banana Ice Cream Recipe:
2 cups half and half
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup evaporated milk
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon salt (or more to taste)
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie seasoning (this is the magic ingredient!)
3 mashed up bananas
1. Combine half and half, heavy cream, and evaporated milk in a sauce pan and heat, while stirring, to 175 degrees.
2. Temper, then whisk in eggs. Heat to 160 degrees.
3. Transfer to a mixing bowl and whisk in remaining ingredients.
4. Cool batter in the refrigerator for at least an hour. This part is really hard, because even the warm batter tastes amazing! But it's important! The more you cool it now, the faster it will make ice cream later.
5. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to its instructions.
6. All ice cream recipes tell you to freeze the soft-serve batter until solid, but I know no one's willing to wait it out... So eat soft-serve now and if there are left overs, you can have solid ice cream tomorrow!
I'm not ashamed to tell you that I just ate this... And it was awesome!